Problems during pregnancy can be a huge stress for parents-to-be, or worse, conditions could be life-threatening to the mother and baby. However, the transvaginal scan can assist in early detection of complications, say Izuwah-Njoku and Awadzi.
Early pregnancy loss complicates 20 percent of pregnancies. Maternal morbidity and mortality following early pregnancy loss have been clearly documented. Significant emotional, psychological and physical trauma is commonly seen in affected couples. Early pregnancy loss accounts for about 50,000 hospital admissions in the UK and so results in significant financial burden on the National Health Service. The rate of ectopic pregnancies is 11 per 1,000 pregnancies with a 0.2 percent mortality rate per 1,000 ectopic pregnancies…1
For the full article, please contact us and ask about subscription:
T: 0844 858 2890
- Ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage: Diagnosis and initial management in early pregnancy of ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage. December 2012 NICE Clinical guideline. Available from: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/14000/61860/61860.pdf
- Sohaey R, Woodward P, Zwiebel WJ. First-trimester ultrasound: the essentials. Seminars in Ultrasound CT and MRI. 1996; 17(1):2–14. [PubMed]
- Braithwaite J. M, Economides D. L. Aceptability by patients of first trimester transvaginal ultrasonography in the elective assessment of the first trimester fetus. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1977 Feb:9 (2) 91-3.
- Bottomley C, Van Belle V, Mukri F, Kirk E, Van Huffel , Tinnerman D, Bourne T. The optimal timing of an ultrasound scan to assess the location and viability of an early pregnancy. 2009 Aug; 24(8):1811-7. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dep084. Epub 2009 Apr 10.
- Robinson H.P. Gestational sac volume as determined by sonar in the first trimester of pregnancy. British Journal Obstet Gynecol 1975; 82:100.
- Cacciatore B, Tiitinen A, Stenman UH, Ylostalo P. Normal early pregnancy: serum hCG levels and vaginal ultrasonography findings. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 1990;97(10):899–903. [PubMed]
- Jurkovic D et al. Ultrasound features of normal early pregnancy development. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 1995;7:493
- Shats R et al. Embryonic heart activity; appearance and development in early human pregnancy. British Journal Obstet Gynecol 1990;97:989
- Robinson H. P. et al. A critical evaluation of sonar crown-rump length measurement. British Journal Obstet and Gynecol 1975;82:702
- Bottomley C et al. Reliability of transvaginal ultrasonography at 7-9 weeks gestation in the determination of chorionicity and amnionicity in twin pregnancies. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2008 Oct; 32 (5) 618-21.doi:10.1002/uog.6133
- Timor-Tritsh I E et al. The use of transvaginal sonography in the diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy. American Journal Obstet Gynecol 1989; 161: 157-161
- Jurkovic et al. Transvaginal colour Doppler study of blood flow in ectopic pregnancies. Fertil Steril. 1992 Jan ; 57 (1): 68-73
- Fowler et al. Routine pre-evacuation ultrasound diagnosis of hydatidiform mole: experience of more than 1000 cases from a regional referral centre. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2006 Jan; 27(1):56-60.